Standards, Essential Questions, and Goals
Grade level: 7th grade/8th grade
Subject area: Spanish → Equivalent of the 1/6 of high school Spanish 1
Standards used in Spanish:
7/8.SP.1 Uses proper pronunciation and intonation
7/8.SP.2 Comprehends and applies key vocabulary terms and written passages
7/8.SP.3 Uses appropriate grammar, punctuation and capitalization
- Can I speak in fluid sentences?
- Can I spell correctly in Spanish?
- Can I form grammatically correct sentences in Spanish?
- Can I understand when others speak to me in Spanish?
Goals using I can statements:
- I can speak, read, and write in Spanish in a novice high proficiency
- I can communicate with other Spanish speakers using introductions and greetings, and continue a conversation using essential conversation questions
- I can learn Spanish through learning the alphabet, having phonemic awareness, and practicing vocabulary in the following topics: days of the week/months, weather, family and friends
Unit 1: Introduction to Spanish: basics (7 weeks)
- Class rules and expectations
- Geography- Spanish speaking countries
- Grammar: nouns, articles, Introduction to the present tense
Unit 2: Changes and numbers (6 weeks)
- Weather and seasons
- Days and months
- Numbers and time
- Grammar: present tense: ser/estar
Unit 3: Family and friends (6 weeks)
- Immediate and distant family
- Customs and traditions
- Follow a famous family
- Create our own family “tree”
- Grammar: Present tense, possessive adjectives, descriptive adjectives